Welcome to Conway Borough, Pennsylvania
1208 3rd Avenue, Conway, PA 15027
Office hours: Monday-Friday, 9am to 4pm
Secretary's Office 724-869-5550
Emergency dial 911
Police non-emergency 724-869-9530
Above: "Welcome to Conway" sign donated to the Borough by the Conway Civic Women's Club
The April 1st workshop meeting has been
NEXT COUNCIL MEETING 4/15/15
32 hours per week. $9.50 per hour.
Apply at the Conway Borough Secretary's Office
Refuse bills are due by April 30, 2015.
Discount for year in full payment of Refuse Bill was valid only through
February 13, 2015.
Please check back often for updates to the Conway Calendar of Events, News, Government, Public Safety pages, as well as the various Community Organization pages.
Also Check the Conway Recreation Committee page for more information about upcoming events that are Planned.
SCRAP TIRE COLLECTION
Independence Conservancy will have tire collections this spring in cooperation with these following municipalities:
- April 18, Economy Borough Municipal Building, 2856 Conway-Walrose Road, Economy Borough
- April 25, Findlay Township Road Department, 1058 Clinton Road, Findlay Township
- May 2, Ohioville Municipal Building, 6268 Tuscarawas Road, Ohioville
- May 9, New Sewickley Township Municipal Building, 233 Miller Road, New Sewickley Township
- May 16, Big Beaver Borough Building, 114 Forest Drive, Big Beaver
All collections will be from 9am to noon on Saturdays. Individuals and small businesses are welcome to participate. No proof of residency is required, and there is no limit to the number of tires or wheels any one person may bring.
Disposal fees for auto and light-truck tires up to 18 inches off a rim are $2 each, $4 if on a rim. Tractor-trailer tires up to 22.5 inches are $20 each. Farm tractor rear tires up to 75 pounds are $20 each; up to 150 pounds are $40 each; and over 150 pounds are $75 each. No rims permitted on the tractor-trailer or farm tires.
Community tire collections are offered as a public service to provide disposal of scrap tires, thus reducing the risk of West Nile Virus by eliminating stagnant water where mosquitos breed. Since 2004, over 37,000 tires and wheels have been disposed of under this program.
Conway is now on
Sign in to your profile and become a Member of the Conway Borough group
Free resource for important public safety alerts!! Sign Up Here!
Do you live, work, or travel through Conway? Be instantly informed of local public safety, public works, and community information. Click Here for more information and instructions.
Conway is located along State Route 65 and the Ohio River just 25 miles Northwest of Downtown Pittsburgh, and only 30 minutes from the Pittsburgh International Airport. We are convenient to shopping being adjacent to the Northern Lights Shopping Center and only 10 miles from Cranberry Township, and 6.5 miles from the Center Township / Beaver Valley Mall retail corridors. With the appeal of a turn of the 20th Century small town, Conway combines a mostly residential nature, with the top-rated school district in Beaver County, stable and increasing property values, and the convenience of location to recreational, shopping, and healthcare opportunities.
Conway was incorporated as a Borough within Beaver County, PA on June 20, 1902.
The lands comprising the town of Conway were known as Indian territory until March 12, 1783 when they were set aside as "Depreciation Lands" given by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as payment to soldiers and officers who had served during the Revolutionary War.
John McKee, promoted to the rank of General by George Washington and who had been present at the signing of the Declaration of Independence, became the first settler in the area. For his service in the war, General McKee was awarded 800 acres in New Sewickley Township, from the Ohio River back over the hills 2 miles, including the Crow's Run Valley.
In 1825, McKee sold 230 acres of partially cleared land situated at the lower end of Crow's Run to Michael Conway, a farmer who had recently immigrated from Ireland. Mr. Conway would eventually found the town which bears his name. In 1827, the village of Conway became part of Economy Township when that municipality was formed from part of New Sewickley Township.
General McKee used the proceeds from the sale of this land to promote and help to finance the construction of the first Railroad in the area, running from Pittsburgh to Beaver County. The railroad grew over the years, and at one time the Conway Yards were the busiest automated rail yard in the world. It continues to operate as a major locomotive repair shop and is the largest freight train classification yard between New York City and Chicago.
Today Conway is a community comprising 1.5 square miles with a population of approximately 2,290. Conway boasts an Elementary School that is part of the Freedom Area School District, Churches representing 4 denominations, and is home to over 50 businesses of all sizes. The Borough is governed by a Mayor and 7 member Council, supported by 2 office staff. Also involved in the operation of the Borough are a Public Works Department, Recreation Board, Planning Commission, Code Enforcement Officer, Zoning Hearing Board, and several other boards & commissions. The Conway Volunteer Fire Department provides the town with fire protection and are the first responders to fires and incidents at the railroad yard. The Conway Police Department has 3 full time and a number of part time officers.
We invite you to explore our website and learn about Conway -- a small town with good neighbors who are working together to keep Conway......"Moving Forward"!
Disclaimer: The information contained in this web site is made available as a service only, and is not intended to replace official versions of that information. Although every reasonable effort is made to insure accuracy, all information on this site is presented without warranty, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy, timeliness, or completeness.